Constanta Casino promenade WW2 pillbox (D)

Those are perhaps the most famous Romania’s WW2 pillboxes. Millions of tourists, Romanians and foreigners, have scrutinized curiously the firing openings. Surprisingly, nobody have reliable data about the buildings, its architecture, how it looks inside; not even knowing for sure during which war those pillboxes were raised. This is where Aedificium Constanta came in, and, based on the photos, we will put these WW2 bunkers into the lights.

Due to its very special location, in the beating of the waves, the pillbox is strongly affected by age. Metal armature is now corroded by the action of salt water, but the remains of the periscope is still visible.

The pillbox is partially flooded and it looks pretty lugubrious. Looking through the machine gun’s opening, we noticed that the water level reaches the shooting hole.

But the most important finding of the exploration is engraved on the embrasure – AR 10 Mai 1944. Construction completion date – May 10, 1944, preceded by the initials AR – Romanian Army. So, it looks like the famous “German pillboxes” were actually build and operated by the Romanians.

It’s time for the camera’s flash to turn on the light in those Nazi pillboxes, after almost 70 years of darkness. A sinister place to be, just as the war which this bunker served.

Although heavily corroded by sea water, surprisingly, a number of metallic elements are still there, inside. A shaft at the center of what was, back then, the observation periscope and, to the right, a pipe of considerable size, equipped with a lid. Thera are also traces of the equipment that used to hang on the walls.

Access to this pillbox (as well as for “sister” pillbox on the left) was made throught a manhole (desguised as a sewer lid) and a tunnel, partially flooded. This shaft carries many mysteries and we will review in a future article.

A view from  up above, depicting the access tunnel.

THIS POST IS ALSO AVAILABLE IN: Romanian

Leave a reply